Wigan Warriors Edge Challenge Cup Final

Wigan Warriors Edge Challenge Cup Final - partycasino

It was a close run affair, but Wigan Warriors came out on top in the Challenge Cup final against Huddersfield Giants, winning the tie 16-14. The showpiece event took place at Spurs’ Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and was watched by over 51,000 fans in attendance and many more on television.

Huddersfield Giants were on course to lift the trophy for the first time since 1953, but a late try from Liam Marshall shattered their dreams and saw the Warriors extend their own record in the competition by winning the cup for the twentieth time.


Heading into the contest, it was, of course, Matty Peet’s side who were strong favourites. But, with Ricky Leutele and Chris McQueen doing the business for Huddersfield, giving the Giants a 10-6 halftime lead, things weren’t going to plan as Wigan attempted to continue their dominance in the Challenge Cup.

Ups And Downs

The Warriors responded after the breakthrough Jai Field. But, again, the Giants hit back, with Jermaine McGillvary scoring a try, which put Huddersfield back in control of the match at 14-12. But, it wasn’t to be for the Giants, and Marshall was on hand to ensure Wigan, and he had the final say.

The Perfect Final

You could argue that it was the perfect final because of how hard-fought it was and how the game swung from the grasp of Huddersfield to Wigan and vice versa. But, of course, Wigan come away the happier, securing their first Challenge Cup since 2013. But the Giants can be pleased with their overall performance.

If the semi-final ties that both teams had to come through were anything to go by, you would have thought Huddersfield were in with a great chance of winning after confidently beating Hull KR and looking good in doing so. Wigan, however, had to dig deep to prevent St Helens from making a successful fightback in their semi-final game.

The game took place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium because Wembley Stadium is currently in use hosting the English Football League playoff finals. Saturday saw Mansfield take on Port Vale in the League 2 playoff final, with Sunday seeing Huddersfield Town and Nottingham Forest battle it out for a place in the Premier League.

Peet Proves Himself

Wigan will feel vindicated in their victory after being criticised for hiring academy coach Peet as the man to chief the first team following Adrian Lam’s departure. The decision to select Peet, who had never played the game professionally and had no head coach experience, raised eyebrows. But, delivering the Challenge Cup is the perfect response.

For Huddersfield now, it will be a case of what could and what probably should have been. Luke Yates and Tui Lolohea starred throughout the fixture, but the latter will be rueing the four kicks at goal that he missed. They would have made the difference, and the result would have been different, but it’s all what-ifs and maybes.